Prom season is here and it’s a dangerous time for teenagers and new drivers. Drive Smart Georgia wants to help make it a safe one for local North Atlanta high school students. That’s why they headed to Milton High School and Northview High School last week to sponsor events about making safe driving decisions during the dangerous prom and graduation seasons. For 2014, Drive Smart Georgia partnered with North Fulton Hospital to make the events even more memorable and meaningful for teens. During the events, stations were set up to address dangerous driving behaviors and situations. Students were encouraged to take pledges to avoid alcohol, drugs and distracted driving habits.
Local businesses supported the events in a huge way. When students took the pledge, they were entered in to a raffle for prizes. Chick-fil-A, Cheeseburger Bobby’s, Chili’s, Auto Bell and others all made contributions to encourage students to take the AAA PROMise safe driving pledge.
The 411 on Safe Driving Events for Prom Season:
- Teen driver safety geared towards prom season
- Dangers of drinking and driving
- Dangers of texting and driving
- Driving simulator to practice “driving” under adverse conditions
- “Drunk goggles” to show how alcohol affects reactions behind the wheel
- Students were encouraged to sign safe driving pledges
- Safe driving handouts
- Giveaways to encourage students to sign pledges
Additional Teen Driver Safety Events for Prom Season 2014 will take place at the following locations and dates:
- Tuesday, April 22: Alpharetta High School
- Wednesday, April 23: Chattahoochee High School
To receive future articles by Jackie Kass, click on SUBSCRIBE. Do you have a story idea? I'd love to hear from you! E-mail your ideas to me at email@example.com.