The FAA has ordered the Dreamliner 787 to stop flying after a battery fire aboard a 787 fire in Boston, and another fire battery incident during a flight in Japan. This is the first time since 1979 when the FAA grounded the DC-10 following a series of the fatal crashed.
The FAA Inspectors are focusing on the plane's lithinum batteries and its complicated electrical system. The system was developed in Japan by subcontractors in France, Arizona, and North Carolina. The 787 is a product of Boeing and they are the largest jet planes in the world. This is the jumbo jet of Boeing, since the manufacture of the 747, in 1970. Boeing is located in Seattle, WA.
United Technologies bought the Hamilton Sundstrand, and merged them with Goodrich in NC. They spent 52 million dollars inorder to make a profit that could materilize into 50 billion with the orders for the largest jet flying commercially, the 787.
There are a lot of local companies that are involved in the manufacture of the large jumbo jet 787. They are as follows:
- United Technologies Aerospace Systems, which employs 2,200 employees in Rockford, and they are the supplier of the primary power generation and the power distribution on the 787. The local company is Hamilton Sundstrand.
- Woodward Inc., Loves Park, has 10 components on each of the GEnx-1B engine which flies the 787.
- Forest City Gear, Roscoe, who supplies a number of Boeing suppliers, a number of Boeing suppliers and has gears on all of Boeing's "7" series aircraft.
- GE Aviation, Loves Park, manufacturers components for other GE sites and Unison industries that have parts and components on the 787.
- Ardekin Precision, Rockford, makes test fixturing for a Boeing supplier for the 787.
- Ingenium, Rockford, provided engineering support to Sundstrand throughout the program.
- Ingersol Manufacturing Tools, Rockford, made the wing molds for the Mitsubishi, which is supplyng the wings for the 787.
- Spider Co. Inc. Rockford, furnishes a number of components for Woodward Inc. for its 787 funel system components.
- Kaney Aerospace, Rockford, provided a quality asurance team for its electric system laboratories and electric power system cerification in Rockford.
- Midwest Aero Support, Machesney Park, makes several components for the 787 for Sundstrand and other companies that supply Boeing.
Timing is going to play an important factor in determining if the Dreamliner 787 is safe to fly. The longer it takes to get clearance to fly again, more money could be lost, and maybe employees laid off. They have had trouble with the lithium batteries. The reason for using this type of battery is the cost. The cost is a lot cheaper and it uses less fuel to fly the Dreamliner 787. Testing will be an important factor in the safety of the 787.