The Kickstarter campaign for Red Thread Games' Dreamfall Chapters has completed successfully, bringing in $1,538,425 of the original $850,000 goal. The additional funding, over and above the initial goal, will go toward:
- Creating OS X and Linux versions of the game
- The addition of numerous books and other tomes to the game world (and possibly a quest associated therewith)
- A longer game featuring more locations and characters, a richer soundtrack and an in-game gallery of fan-submitted works
- An interactive novel to get new players up to speed on the story of the first two games
- French and German translations and additional voiceovers
- Other additional content and a "director's cut" commentary track
Sadly, the reward tier for mobile versions of the game wasn't reached, so it's unlikely we'll see those. The Longest Journey Home, an additional game that would have been created had the Kickstarter reached the $2,000,000 mark, will also not happen, meaning that Dreamfall Chapters will hopefully wrap up the story of The Longest Journey saga and its case of interesting characters once and for all.
This is good, overall; it has been far too long already since Dreamfall came out, itself a long-overdue sequel to The Longest Journey. Red Thread Games is now poised to close one of the more interesting chapters in adventure gaming history, and here is hoping that they are able to do justice to the lore and legend of this fine series.
Oh, and if you haven't already, vote for Dreamfall Chapters on Steam Greenlight!