Tell me what you want, what you really, really want. That's the question that Dr. Mehmet Oz asked his fans to answer via social media and his Web site. And, in his September 20 episode entitled "Viewer Takeover," Dr. Oz responded to requests by featuring his top tips for boosting your metabolism and supercharging your energy. Plus: Be sure to try the tasty energy shake recipe below.
When it comes to metabolism makeovers and energy accelerators, Dr. Oz emphasizes that no "miracles" exist. He also notes that metabolisms are not all created equal, so identifying your own body type is important. And when it comes to energy, bypass those caffeine and candy bars combos. Follow these tips for more energy and a slimmer body:
- Do you have a large belly and waist? Create meals that focus on protein and vegetables. To sweeten foods naturally, use cinnamon to regulate your blood sugar. For example, enjoy cottage cheese and blueberries sprinkled with cinnamon for breakfast.
- To battle belly fat, limit carbohydrates to one serving a day.
- Do you have a generously proportioned bottom? Go for complex carbohydrates such as brown rice mixed with steamed vegetables. For seasoning, use oregano. And alas, for those who view French fries as a complex carbohydrate, Dr. Oz emphasizes that fat is not good for downsizing your derriere.
- Energy drinks don't work - but the right diet does, says Dr. Oz. When it comes to the fruit family, try kiwi fruit and goji berry juice.
- For the ultimate energizing boost, enjoy peanut butter and chia seeds.
Want a true kick-start to your day? Try this energizing Good Morning Sunshine Shake from the Dr. Oz site, which was created by Ulli Stachl, Culinary Consultant.
Makes 1 serving
- 8 oz milk
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 banana
- 1/2 peach
- 1 tbsp milled chia seeds
- 1 tbsp acacia powder (optional)
Purée all ingredients in a blender or immersion blender. Serve and enjoy!