In December, we dreamed of fabulous presents and sweets. Now that it's January, however, we're more interested in conquering belly bulge. On his Jan. 8 talk show, Dr. Mehmet Oz explained how you can get a flat tummy fast with his new 21-day weight loss plan. In addition, he revealed how his special belly-blasting smoothie recipe can help.
Dr. Oz's belly-blasting expert for this episode was Liz Vaccariello, author of "Flat Belly Diet" and "Flat Belly Diet Family Cookbook." The science behind the flat belly diets: Bacteria. Scientists have discovered that when your digestive bacteria are not balanced, you are more apt to gain weight and experience problems such as belly bloat, explained Dr. Oz and Liz. When you achieve a balance of "good" bacteria, you have your own weight loss weapon to boost fat-burning.
Here are the guidelines for the 21-day flat tummy diet:
- To reduce inflammation and decrease bad stomach bacteria, consume a food with magnesium each morning and take a supplement. Dr. Oz recommends adding one tablespoon of chia, flax or pumpkin seeds to your breakfast and taking a 400 mg supplement.
- For lunch and dinner, flatten your belly with oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice and polenta. These foods keep your digestive tract running on track and minimize inflammation. Avoid foods like pastry and cookies.
- Stay away from salt and fatty snacks. Instead, enjoy foods that contain belly-blasting MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids), such as avocado and olives.
- Spice up your life with belly-bloat-battling ginger. You can use the recipe below.
Sip the maple and ginger elixir once a day.
Ginger & Maple Elixir Ingredients
- 6 thin slices of ginger, peeled
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tsp maple syrup
Directions: Steep the ginger slices in the boiling hot water. Add maple syrup. Stir.
Dr. Oz also talked about a new food to add to your weight loss arsenal: Green bananas. They contain resistant starch, which curb your hunger while reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 green banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 dates, pitted
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
Process all ingredients in a blender and serve.
For a thinner smoothie add another 1/2 cup almond milk.