As we approach the time to make New Year's resolutions to shed pounds, it's the season for seeking new ways to achieve those goals. From holistic chakras to one woman's 62-pound weight loss success, Dr. Mehmet Oz offered some different options on the Dec. 23 episode of his health talk show.
Your body contains seven major chakras. By eating foods to support your chakras, you can balance them to achieve goals ranging from slimming down to regaining your energy:
- The root chakra can be balanced with foods such as protein and root vegetables.
- The sacral chakra can be supported with seeds, nuts and orange-colored foods such as oranges, carrots and pumpkins.
- The solar plexus chakra benefits from yellow fruits and veggies.
- The heart chakra can be supported with green veggies.
- Support the throat chakra with blue foods such as blueberries.
- The third eye can be balanced with violet foods such as plums.
- The crown chakra can be supported with purple foods like eggplant.
"Good Morning America" contributor Tory Johnson struggled with her weight for years, she told Dr. Oz. Finally, after realizing that she needed to make dramatic changes in her diet, she succeeded in shedding 62 pounds. Tory authored a book about her success: "The Shift: How I Finally Lost Weight and Discovered a Happier Life" (click for details).
Tory took a different approach from diets that provide cheat days and treats. She vowed to cut out all the white foods in her diet: Sugar, flour, pasta, rice and even potatoes.
Comparing herself to an alcoholic, Tory feels that she cannot handle certain foods in moderation. She stayed on her strict diet and added in exercise, gradually working up to 45 minutes daily.
Tory's message to others: "The past doesn't have to dictate the future. Day One can be any time you choose. Each of us has the power to change our mind for a happier, healthier, better life."