Dr. Mehmet Oz discussed anti-aging secrets with the cast of "Hot in Cleveland" and spotlighted "The Hungry Girl Diet" on the March 25 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
Dr. Oz's guests were actresses Valerie Bertinelli, 53, Jane Leeves, 52, and Wendie Malick, 63, all of whom have stayed youthful without plastic surgery.
Dr. Oz first asked what the three ladies would say to their 25-year-old selves. All of them said their advice would be to have more fun and to not sweat the stuff.
Bertinelli, Leeves and Malick then shared their top age-defying beauty and fitness secrets, which were inexpensive and easy to follow:
- Moisturize your entire body every day.
- Don't shower every day, as this dries out your skin.
- Cover your chest with a scarf to protect it from sun damage.
- Don't wash your hair every day, since this ages your follicles.
- Drink warm water with lemon to detoxify your body and get a shot of anti-aging vitamin C.
- Rub lemon juice to minimize age spots. Let it sit on your skin for five to 10 minutes for maximum effect.
- Do leg lifts to tone your glutes.
- Do push-ups against a wall to tone your triceps and biceps.
- Don't drink from straws or bottles, as pursing your lips causes wrinkles.
- Have a positive attitude, as stress and negative emotions age you.
Minoxidil for Hair Loss
Dr. Oz said stress, genetics or thyroid issues can cause your hair to fall out in clumps. Dr. Oz said not to panic, and recommended these steps for preventing hair loss:
- Avoid restrictive diets. Excessive dieting and nutritional deficiencies can cause hair to fall out. Make sure you eat enough healthy fats to prevent hair loss.
- Reduce scalp inflammation. Use a moisturizing dandruff shampoo to minimize dry scalp and inflammation.
- Minoxidil drops. Use Minoxidil with a 5% foam preparation once a day (the men's formula is safe for women). You can expect to see results in six to nine months.
'Hungry Girl Diet' Plan to Lose 10 Pounds in Four Weeks
On a separate segment, Dr. Oz's guest was diet guru Lisa Lillien, who revealed her plan for losing 10 pounds in four weeks. Lillien, author of The Hungry Girl Diet, shared these weight loss tips:
1. Eat a high-protein breakfast every day. Lillien said protein keeps you satisfied longer because it takes a longer time for your body to digest. Aim to eat at least 20 grams of protein in the morning.
2. Super-size your lunch and dinner with vegetables. Load up on nutrient-rich vegetables at lunch and dinner. The fiber and water content in the veggies will help you feel full without guilt.
3. Eat high-fiber, protein-rich snacks. Lillien said eating three high-fiber, high-protein snacks will keep your hunger in check and keep you from overeating at your next meal.
Recipe: Hungry Girl's Faux-Fried Chicken Strips with Side Salad
- ½ cup bran cereal
- 1 tsp salt-free seasoning mix
- ¼ cup egg whites
- 6 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 6 strips
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 cup high-volume veggies (mushrooms, cucumber)
- 2 tsp vinegar of choice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil
- Prehead oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a small blender or food processor, grind cereal into crumbs.
- Transfer to a wide bowl, and mix in seasoning mix.
- Place egg whites in another wide bowl.
- One at a time, dunk chicken strips in egg, shake to remove excess, and coat with crumbs.
- Evenly lay on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Flip chicken. Bake until cooked through and crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Toss salad ingredients in another medium bowl. Serve with chicken strips and mustard for dipping.