Calling it the newest health food sensation, Dr. Mehmet Oz says that he has discovered a superfood that acts as a sugar blocker. On his Dec. 30 talk show, he explained how white mulberry can help you battle diabetes, cut carbohydrate cravings, protect your heart and even lower your cholesterol. Plus: Get Dr. Oz's tips for weight loss snacks to boost your energy throughout the day.
So what exactly is white mulberry? Dr. Oz explained its benefits:
- Dried mulberries are low in sugar, yet they can satisfy your sweet tooth to satisfy your cravings.
- High in antioxidants, white mulberries can protect your heart.
- Protein-rich and fiber-rich, the little fruits can lower your cholesterol and improve your digestion.
- A compound in white mulberries can help prevent diabetes by blocking sugar digestion and controlling your blood sugar.
You can choose from a variety of ways to use this powerhouse food:
- Use dried mulberries for snacks or sprinkle over cereal, such as Navitas Naturals Organic Mulberries.
- Drink mulberry tea with meals, such as Sunrise Pure White Mulberry Tea.
- Use "sugar controller" supplements that contain white mulberry, such as Cinnamon Gymnema Mulberry Complex.
- Sip mixed leaf teas that contain mulberry.
In addition, Dr. Oz has the skinny on how to overcome fatigue at different points in the day:
- Conquer morning fatigue with a latte to get protein and caffeine combined.
- Overcome afternoon fatigue with the scent of peppermint. Try aromatherapy candles, for example, or even chew peppermint gum.
- So tired after dinner that you can't turn on the "Dr. Oz Show" for help? Choose a dessert rich in magnesium such as bananas spread with peanut butter.