If you vowed to lose weight in January and are still battling the bulge, spring is the perfect time to win your weight loss war. On his March 20 talk show, Dr. Mehmet Oz unveiled what he's calling his 2-Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet. On average, diet testers lost nine pounds in just 14 days using the plan.
Author of "YOU: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" (click for details), Dr. Oz says he designed the diet to minimize foods that cause cravings. Worried about hunger? He also provides you with a list of unlimited foods to ease that concern.
Among the foods and beverages that Dr. Oz wants you to eliminate: Wheat, artificial sweeteners and sugar, alcohol, coffee and all dairy with the exception of Greek yogurt. He also recommends planning meals so that you do not eat after 8 p.m., with breakfast planned for 8 a.m. That 12-hour fast gives your body a chance to burn fat more rapidly.
Follow these directions to try Dr. Oz's rapid weight loss diet:
- Wake up: Start day with cup hot water and 1/2 lemon
- Breakfast smoothie: See recipe below.
- Green tea: Preferably organic
- Protein: One 6-oz serving of meat (chicken, turkey or fish) per day
- Carbs: 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice a day (otherwise no carbs/starches)
- Fats: Good fats in moderation (e.g. olive oil and avocado)
- Dairy: 1 cup of 2% plain Greek yogurt per day (otherwise no dairy)
- Vegetables: Unlimited low-glycemic vegetables (see list) and low-sodium vegetable broth
- Snacks: Hummus, pickles, a couple handfuls of nuts
- In addition, Dr. Oz recommends taking a probiotic in the morning.
How it works: On this plan, you can fill up on low-glycemic vegetables, which Dr. Oz calls "key to helping burn fat. When you swap out starchy and sugary foods for low-glycemic vegetables, your body can burn through its glycogen storage and eventually start burning fat."
Examples of low-glycemic vegetables include:
- Artichoke hearts
- Bamboo shoots
- Bean sprouts
- Brussels sprouts
- Beans (green, kidney, garbanzo)
- Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
To start your day, enjoy the recipe for Dr. Oz's 2-Week Rapid Weight-Loss Plan: Breakfast Smoothie below.
- 2 tbsp rice protein powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Blend together until desired consistency.