Dr. Oz says your body type impacts your overall health and puts you at risk for different kinds of diseases.
On the Dec. 26 episode of the Dr. Oz Show, he detailed the three different body types women have:
1. Triangle. You're a triangle if you gain weight in your hips, thighs and butt. Dr. Oz said new research indicates that triangles are at an increased risk for heart disease.
- Solution: Reduce heart-disease risk by scaling back on red-meat consumption. Try Meatless Mondays.
2. Circle. Dr. Oz said 50% of women are circles who carry a lot of fat around their waists. "The fat around the belly is the most dangerous kind of fat," he said. If your waist is larger than 31 inches, you're at high risk for uterine, kidney, pancreatic and colon cancers.
- Solution: Eat wasabi (one teaspoon a day can lower your cancer risks, said Dr. Oz). Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish paste that has powerful anti-cancer properties. Dr. Oz previously revealed other simple tips to blast belly fat fast.
3. Rectangle. You're a rectangle if you gain weight all over your body. Dr. Oz said the rectangle is the most at risk for osteoarthritis and joint pain.
- Solution: Do weight-bearing exercises such as squats, said Dr. Oz. This can strengthen your joints to ward off arthritis.
In general, it's best not to carry excess body fat no matter what your body shape because fat is a breeding ground for cancerous tumors. "Your fat actually feeds cancer cells," Dr. Oz said.
Dr. Oz previously said exercising regularly and following a diet that's high in leafy green vegetables, healthy fats such as olive oil and salmon, and limiting sugar and processed junk foods automatically causes weight loss because you feel satiated and therefore won't feel the need to overeat.