Dr. Oz revealed how you can boost your thyroid function on the Feb. 24, 2015, episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
"If you have unexplained weight loss, feel cold and exhausted, you may have a sluggish thyroid," said Dr. Oz. "And it could be the cause of your biggest weight loss problems."
The symptoms of a sluggish thyroid include:
- unexplained weight gain
- cold sensitivity.
- brittle hair, nails, and skin
Dr. Oz said doctors often fail to diagnose thyroid problems, but they're shockingly common. Even simple blood tests could miss this disorder.
The thyroid is a small gland in your neck that regulates hormone production and metabolism. If the thyroid gets even a little sluggish, you will feel lethargic and gain weight.
To combat a sluggish thyroid, Dr. Oz said you need to get enough zinc, selenium and iodine in your diet. Foods rich in these minerals include the following:
- Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which boost the thyroid. Two nuts a day can improve a sluggish thyroid.
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a proven thyroid booster, said Dr. Oz. Cantaloupes and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, or you can take a daily supplement.
- Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of selenium.
- Dulse flakes. Dulse flakes, which are made from seaweed, are high in iodine.
- Miso soup. Miso soup is high in zinc and enhances the thyroid-boosting properties of iodine.
Dr. Oz said you should also make sure you get enough vitamin D in your diet. Foods rich in vitamin D include salmon, eggs yolks, cheese, sardines, and beef liver. Getting sunlight exposure is also helpful for proper thyroid function, so make sure you soak in a few minutes of vitamin D rays every day.
Dr. Mark Hyman's 10-Day Detox Diet: Lose 10 Pounds In 10 Days
On a separate segment, Dr. Oz spoke to obesity expert Dr. Mark Hyman, author of the 10-Day Detox Diet. Dr. Hyman said you can burn belly fat and lose 10 pounds in 10 days by eliminating sugar, wheat, and processed foods from your diet.
Dr. Hyman said 100 dieters he tested while writing his book all lost 10 pounds in 10 days on his detox diet. Two women in the Dr. Oz Show audience said they also lost 10 pounds on Hyman's 10-Day Detox Diet.
Dr. Hyman said eliminating sugar will dramatically improve your health and accelerate weight loss. "Sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine,” said Dr. Hyman, who said sugar wreaks havoc on your metabolism, hormones, skin and organs.
Dr. Hyman's 10-Day Detox Diet involves the following:
- Eliminate processed foods.
- Avoid any food or drink that contains sugar in any form, including honey, molasses, agave, maple syrup and artificial sweeteners.
- Don't consume hydrogenated oils or refined vegetable oils like corn and soybean.
- Eliminate gluten, all flours and all grains.
- Don't consume any dairy.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and legumes.
Dr. Oz said the 10-day detox diet allows high-quality proteins such as chicken, fish, eggs, and shrimp, and unlimited quantities of non-starchy vegetables. The best part of the 10-day detox diet isn't the weight loss, but the extra energy, good mood and radiant skin you'll experience by eliminating toxins from your system.
Fat-Burning Supplements Boost Weight Loss and Curb Hunger
Dr. Oz suggested using the following fat-burning supplements to suppress appetite and enhance satiety:
- Konjac root powder. Konjac root (also known as glucomannan) is a gluten-free soluble fiber that contains no calories, starch, protein, fat, or sugar. Konjac powder induces a full feeling (so you can't overeat) and has been shown to control blood-sugar levels, making it ideal for people with diabetes.
- Chromium. Chromium is a mineral that has been shown to regulate blood sugar and insulin, which is a critical component of Dr. Hyman's 10-day detox diet. “If you balance blood sugar, the weight loss is automatic,” he said.
- Fat-blasting probiotic. Dr. Oz said the probiotic lactobacillus gasseri boosts metabolism, melts belly fat, reduces inflammation, and blocks fat production.