To market, market, to buy a fat pig...er, better make that a fat olive instead, if you want to follow Dr. Mehmet Oz's example. Author of "YOU: Losing Weight: The Owner's Manual to Simple and Healthy Weight Loss," the world-renowned physician and cardiac surgeon recently opened up his own home fridge to reveal what he keeps inside. And, to help you buy healthier foods and get more bounce for the ounce, Dr. Oz also explained his "rules of the fridge." Use this list to guide you on your next expedition to the store:
- Dr. Oz lists olives as one of his favorite foods, protecting you against heart disease, depression, cancer, high cholesterol and dementia. My tip: Enjoy different varieties, such as Byzantine Country Olive Mix and Roland Kalamata Greek olives.
- Terming them an "antioxidant powerhouse," blueberries win a place on Dr. Oz's list for their low-calorie, high fiber content. What to do when they're out of season? My tip: Highland Sugarworks Wild Maine Blueberries Packed In Water have the full flavor anytime of year, or enjoy Traverse Bay Dried Blueberries.
- Almond milk contains less fat and more nutrients than regular milk, and it's also great for those who are lactose intolerant. My tip: I love Silk Pure Almond Vanilla poured over a bowl of hot oatmeal topped with a handful of dried blueberries for a powerhouse breakfast.
- When you're buying bread, choose whole grain bread with at least three grams of fiber per slice. My tip: Savor the chewy goodness of Mestemacher Fitness Bread, with seven grams of fiber per slice.
- Attention, cheese lovers! Cut down on high-fat cheeses by going for options high in flavor, so that a little goes a long way, such as shredded or grated Parmesan. My tip: Experiment with DeLallo Grated Parmesan. One tablespoon has only 25 calories, and melts perfectly when you sprinkle it on a bowl of hot veggies or soup.
- Tip: Get more ideas for getting and staying in tip-top shape by clicking here to get Dr. Oz's books "YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" and "YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger."