Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed how to recharge your body on the Feb. 11 episode of the Dr. Oz Show ("Restart Your Body 5 Ways in 5 Days").
Dr. Oz said if you constantly feel exhausted and run-down, you're not alone. But you can restart your body and enjoy weight loss in five easy, inexpensive ways. "You can boost your energy and put some pep back into your step," he said.
Sunflower Seeds and Wheat-Free Diet Speed Weight Loss
Dr. Oz's 5-step diet plan involves the following:
1. Meatless Mondays. Dr. Oz said forgoing meat on Mondays is a great way to give your digestive system a break and add more vegetables to your diet. You don't need to give up meat completely, just one day a week.
2. Enjoy "Twos-days." On Tuesdays, eat a snack that combines iron with vitamin C to improve mood and increase energy. Dr. Oz suggested the following snacks:
- Sunflower seeds (high in iron) with chili powder (rich in vitamin C).
- Chocolate-covered strawberries (strawberries have vitamin C while chocolate is iron-rich).
3. Wheat-less Wednesdays. Dr. Oz said many people are unaware they have gluten sensitivity, so eliminating wheat from your diet one day a week can make a noticeable difference in your energy levels. Cardiologist Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, said a wheat-free diet promotes weight loss and prevents almost all chronic diseases.
4. Thirsty Thursdays. Dr. Oz said detoxing your body with pomegranate juice is an excellent way to flush toxins from your system. Pomegranate juice also protects you against free radicals and restores collagen to your skin.
5. Fatty Fridays: Dr. Oz said adding healthy fatty acids like monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) to your diet helps you lose weight, flushes fat from your body, and reduces inflammation. Foods high in MUFAs include avocados, coconut oil, salmon, dark chocolate, and flax seeds.
Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, said a high-fat diet causes rapid weight loss and prevents dementia and Alzheimer's. Dr. Oz, who previously advocated a low-fat diet, is now sold on the weight-loss and health benefits of a high-fat diet. "Science shows us it absolutely works," he said.