Want to cheat on your diet and still lose weight? Dr. Mehmet Oz's "Fat-urday Cheat Plan" provides you with a meal plan, from pizza to frozen yogurt, and recipes (including guilt-free cocktails!) that can help you stray from your diet without guilt. In fact, Dr. Oz actually recommends taking a day off once a week: he says it can help "wake up" your metabolism. The secret: following his cheat plan and limiting your total calories to 1,500 to 1,600 per day.
- Choose your "Fat-urday" and make sure to have a minimum of five days between cheat days.
- Avoid eating in places conducive to mindless eating, such as your car or standing up in the kitchen.
- Breakfast features your "cheat fat," such as a bacon and egg wrap (yum!). Try making it with a whole wheat wrap and turkey bacon to enhance your health.
- It's time for a morning snack: try goat cheese or brie cheese on whole grain crackers. Make it fruit-fabulous with grapes or other fruit (I love this combo with a pear!).
- Who wants pizza? Dr. Oz suggests enjoying whole-wheat pizza with grilled chicken for your noon meal. Add veggies on top or on the side.
- Frozen yogurt is calling your name? Have it for your afternoon snack, topped with almonds or other nuts.
- Try a steak or other red meat combined with roasted root veggies for dinner. How to make: cut carrots, parsnips, and rutabagas into sticks and roast at 400 degrees for 25 to 40 minutes. And relax at the end of the day with a guilt-free cocktail. Use the recipe below for a pomegranate martini, or click here for recipes for vodka spritzers and margaritas!
- 1 oz citrus vodka
- 1 oz vanilla vodka
- 2 oz unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1/2 oz natural sugar substitute simple syrup
Directions: In a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice, add the ingredients. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.