Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed natural ways to boost energy and accelerate weight loss on the May 16 episode of the Dr. Oz Show. If you constantly feel worn down and exhausted, you're not alone, but there are natural, inexpensive ways to recharge your batteries.
1. Buttered coffee. One way to increase your energy level is to substitute butter for sugar in your coffee. Dr. Oz said the butter in your coffee helps the caffeine last longer in your body. You can also use ghee (which is clarified butter), coconut oil, or MCT oil in your coffee. The healthy fats will also keep your blood sugar stable so you won't feel hungry.
2. Rhodiola supplement. Also known as golden root, rhodiola has been shown to increase energy and stamina and reduce depression and stress. Dr. Oz suggested taking 150mg of rhodiola with breakfast.
3. Immunity-enhancing foods. For more energy, you should increase your intake of foods that increase your beta glucans, which help the body fight disease by boosting your white blood cells. Good sources of beta glucans include oatmeal, dates and shitake mushrooms. If you don't want to eat these foods, a beta glucans supplement can help.
4. L-Theanine for insomnia. L-Theanine is an amino acid that has been shown to relieve anxiety and stress. Dr. Oz said taking 200mg of L-Theanine 30 minutes before bedtime induces relaxation and promotes better sleep.
5. Blue-blocking lenses. Blue light emitted by your TV, smartphone, and computer suppresses your body's ability to secrete the sleep hormone, melatonin. Glasses with orange lenses block the melatonin-robbing blue light so you can sleep better at night and feel refreshed in the morning. Studies show these blue-blocking glasses dramatically improve sleep quality. Just wear them two hours before bedtime while you're watching TV or using the computer.