High protein diets have been in the news lately, with new studies evaluating how they can boost your weight loss and impact your health. But is it safe to eat unlimited amounts of foods such as butter and bacon? On his March 12 talk show, Dr. Mehmet Oz explained why protein is the best tool in fighting disease and winning at weight loss. Plus: Learn to customize your own low carb diet to burn fat more easily and quickly.
A recent study compared diets high in animal protein to smoking cigarettes (read about that study by clicking here). But Dr. Oz disagrees with the message sent by that study. Instead, he says that protein is essential for weight loss and health. Moreover, Dr. Oz cites research showing that one-third of people do not get enough protein.
Among the benefits of protein:
- Protein boosts your metabolism by promoting fat-burning.
- Protein reduces your risk of diabetes by helping to control your blood sugar.
- Protein keeps your body functionally properly.
To use a high protein, low carb diet for weight loss, Dr. Oz recommends consuming one serving of protein every two to three hours for a total of five to six servings daily. Examples of good sources of protein and corresponding amounts:
- Three ounces of fish, poultry or beef
- One egg
- Two tablespoons of nut butter (Get Dr. Oz's tips on different nut butters and recipes by clicking here.)
- One ounce of nuts
- One-half cup of legumes
- One cup of plain Greek yogurt
Learn about a recent studying showing how high protein diets boost weight loss by clicking here.