Wouldn't it be nice to turn back the clock on aging as easily as you reset it for daylight saving time? With the right foods, you can achieve that goal, according to Dr. Mehmet Oz. He unveiled his ultimate anti-aging diet on his March 3 talk show. Plus: Get Dr. Oz's weight loss workout with Shaun T and slimming recipes.
Discover how to make small tweaks for big improvements with Dr. Oz's anti-aging guide:
- If your metabolism has slowed as you age, it could be due to gut problems. Sip a prebiotic shake each morning to boost your metabolism and energy. See the recipe below.
- Eat more vitamin C-rich citrus at each meal, such as grapefruit, to sharpen your brain.
- Consume one to two tablespoons of flax seed for energy each day.
- Detoxify your liver with Dandelion Coffee: Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of dandelion powder topped with 8 ounces of hot water to make a 1 1/4 cup serving.
- Vibrant, healthy, glowing skin can be yours with a tablespoon of coconut oil a day (substitute for olive oil).
Prebiotic Shake recipe ingredients
- 10 oz almond milk
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 medium banana
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder (rice or hemp)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Blend all ingredients until smooth.
In addition, Dr. Oz talked about fitness guru Shaun T's fat-fighting workout. Shaun is the creator of "Shaun T's Rockin' Body DVD Workout" (click for details) and "Shaun T's FOCUS T25 CORE SPEED DVD Workout."
The secret to weight loss using Shaun's plan: Interval training to keep your muscles constantly engaged, which boosts calorie-burning and fat-blasting movements. Even if you have minimal time, you can get maximum results by using his method, according to Shaun. Note: You can learn more about Shaun T here.
Also featured on the same show: Quinoa cookies. Dr. Oz has recommended quinoa repeatedly because it's high in protein, fiber and iron. Now he has discovered a new recipe that he recommends: Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1/4 cup raw honey or agave
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa) or 1/2 cup soaked quinoa
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, applesauce, honey, vanilla and salt. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon rounded tablespoons of cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Place in the freezer to set, about 20 minutes.