Do you live with chronic pain? You're not alone, says Dr. Mehmet Oz. With 116 million Americans contending with some level of pain on a daily basis, he believes in the benefits of exploring holistic remedies for the most common types of misery. Here are his six holistic healing tips:
- Back and Neck Pain Relief: Try one to two mg of B12 daily or use capsaicin spray or cream. It's also available as a patch, such as WellPatch Capsaicin Pain Relief Pads (click for details).
- Joint Pain Relief: Boswellia extract can help. Take at least 300 mg daily to reduce joint pain and increase mobility, advises Dr. Oz, such as Source Naturals Boswellia Extract (click for details).
- Aches and pains relief: Try powdered ginger in hot water or a ginger capsule.
- All over pain relief: Arnica can help. "When your pains intensify without warning – say a sore back, shoulder or knee – try all-natural arnica gel. It’s made from a type of flower, is available in any health food store, and – according to one study – reduces stiffness and pain as effectively as ibuprofen gel with fewer side effects. You can even use arnica gel to treat arthritis pain! Apply it up to 3 times a day, making sure not to rub it on broken skin so as to avoid irritation," says Dr. Oz. Tip: This also works for bruising and sports injuries, so consider keeping one at home and one in your gym bag, such as Boiron Arnicare Gel Twin Pack (click for details).
- Full-Body Pain Preventer: Pelvic Power Tilts can halt pain before it starts, says Dr. Oz. "This simple move stops pain before it starts, by taking a whole-body approach. When one part of your body hurts, the rest of it compensates by taking on additional muscular stress and strain, leading to even more pain and creating a vicious cycle. The pelvic power tilt stabilizes and strengthens your whole body by targeting your core.Simply lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Pull your belly button in toward your spine and hollow it out. Then lift your pelvis slightly off the floor – only an inch – then slowly lower back down, repeating 20 times."
- Shut down pain: Pain Reset: Positional Release Therapy is "strong enough to get rid of your pain, but gentle enough to be used in any age group, and only needs to be done once a week. It’s a low-risk way to reset the body by positioning the body in a strain-counter strain method, alleviating any type of pain from your neck, elbow, leg, arthritis pain, or even menstrual cramps. Find the tender point that hurts the most. Then, take a pencil and use the eraser end to press down on the tender point for about 90 seconds. As you press down, rotate the eraser to work out the muscle while simultaneously relaxing the area by taking deep breaths."
- Bonus tip: For additional help with movements that can ease pain, click here for "The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!"