Turn back the clock 10 years, and the word "holistic" was regarded as something for what my grandmother called "those hippy types." Fast-forward to the present day, and holistic and alternative treatments have become popular among both celebrities and consumers of all ages. One of the main proponents of this change: Dr. Mehmet Oz, who frequently features holistic options on his popular talk show. He's also a best-selling author, whose books include "YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger" (click for details).
In a recent article for Oprah magazine, Dr. Oz discussed alternative treatments for different types of chronic pain:
- Lower back pain: Consider Osteopathic Manual Treatment (OMT), which involves having an osteopathic physician use techniques like stretching and kneading soft tissue around inflamed muscles or applying pressure at specific sites along the back.
- Fibromyalgia: Hypnotherapy can heal you, says Dr. Oz. You'll work with a licensed hypnotherapist, who will guide your mind to a highly focused mental state while easing your body into deep relaxation.
- Sciatica: Investigate physical therapy for relief.
- Knee osteoarthritis: Consider acupuncture.
And for do-it-yourself natural remedies for pain, Dr. Oz suggests:
- Arnica Gel for aches, such as Boiron Arnicare Gel for Muscle Aches (click for details)
- Aromatherapy for fibromyalgia, such as Aromatherapy Top 6 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oils (Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Orange, Peppermint) - click for additional details
- Vitamin C for osteoarthritis, such as Nature's Way Vitamin C