Wrapping up his fifth season premiere week, Dr. Mehmet Oz wanted to make it a lucky Friday the 13th for viewers. So he devoted his September 13 show to revealing how to reduce your healthcare costs, from health screenings to prescriptions. In addition, he featured tips for how to prevent your purse from literally weighing down your health. Bonus: Dr. Oz unveils his super health find of the week to help you benefit from lemons and other citrus.
Here are Dr. Oz's top health tips for September 13:
- How heavy is your purse and how do you carry it? A heavy purse can cause back pain and even result in tingling in your hand if you carry it on your shoulder. Lighten up your purse for pain relief.
- Health find of the week: Dr. Oz is in love with a new product called a citrus sprayer or lemon mister. How it works: Press it into a lemon or lime or orange. Then you can use it to flavor water, freshen the air or add jazz to your salad. Where to find: We hunted around and discovered the Quirky Citrus Spritzer (click for details). There's also a related product called the Lekue Lemon Press Set (click for details).
- Can't afford routine health screenings and tests? Dr. Oz featured experts who explained how find free health screenings and even have tests such as blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. Places to check include pharmacies, drugstores, big box chain stores and even the county fair.
- Are medication costs making you stressed? Prescription Assistance Programs offer free prescriptions to qualified individuals. You can find programs online and will need to provide specific medication information, your income and related details. Important: Your doctor will need to sign the application.
- A free discount program administered by the United Networks of America (UNA) seeks to reduce the cost of prescription drugs and other health services for all people regardless of income or age. Discounts range, but some are as high as 75 percent. Learn more and print out a card on Dr. Oz's site.