If you're one of the more than 116 million Americans who suffer from chronic pain, Dr. Mehmet Oz wants to help you find relief. Whether you experience a backache, a sore neck, joint pain or other misery, learn about the supplements and foods that he recommends for fighting chronic pain.
- Do you suffer from muscle spasms? Try what Dr. Oz calls a muscle "pain power pill" combining 600 mg calcium, 400 mg magnesium and 200 mg potassium.
- For neck aches, Dr. Oz suggests a sleep posture pillow, which should have a depression in the middle.
- Herniated discs can be agonizing. Dr. Oz recommends white willow bark. Try up to three times daily.
- Have joint pain? Try the homeopathic remedy anaflora arnica gel, using it on your sore joints twice daily.
- Spice up your lunch to minimize noontime headaches with anti-inflammatory ginger and turmeric. And for a natural pain reliever, use red pepper flakes, which contain capsaicin. If you get headaches at night, Dr. Oz suggests trying hibiscus tea.
- When we hurt, we often try to find relief by overeating. Instead of going for sugary treats or salty snacks, try healing foods. Enjoy organic dark cherries, which provide anthocyanins that function like ibuprofen to cancel your pain signals. Spread tahini on whole grain toast for a tasty dose of magnesium to relieve muscle tension. And for a powerful way to fight pain, enjoy organic papaya with its ache-battling enzyme papain.