Do you constantly struggle with moodiness, body aches and weight gain? Dr. Mehmet Oz explained how to tell which foods are to blame in his Feb. 4 talk show. Plus: Get an update on the diet plan that has attracted so many viewers: Dr. Oz's Two-Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet.
One reason that food sensitivities can be hard to diagnose: Their symptoms may vary dramatically. Symptoms can include brain fog, cravings, emotional roller-coasters, weight gain and even rashes. Dr. Oz's expert on this topic, Nora Gedgaudas, specializes in food sensitivities and is the author of "Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life" (click for details).
Foods that often are the culprit include dairy, corn, soy, wheat and other grains, says Nora. To determine if you have a food sensitivity, she recommends going on a two-week elimination diet. Keep a food diary to track your reactions to different foods and add in new ones gradually.
Dr. Oz expanded on his most popular diet ever: Designed for extreme weight loss, it's the Oz-approved Two-Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet. He said that since he featured it on a past show, the diet has been downloaded by millions. The diet requires eliminating foods such as sugar and wheat while eating more vegetables. On average, participants lose nine pounds in just two weeks.
In case you missed that episode, here's a recap of the diet plan.
- You can eat unlimited amounts of vegetables that are low on the glycemic index, including lettuce, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower.
- Either make your own vegetable broth to sip or buy a brand that is low in sodium, such as Vogue Cuisine Vegetable Soup & Seasoning (click for details).
- Start your day with a cup of hot water and half a lemon.
- In addition to vegetables, you can eat one six-ounce carton of Greek yogurt, six ounces of poultry or fish, 1/2 cup of brown rice and healthy fats such as avocado. Tip: For portion control, try using Steamed Brown Rice Bowl that can be popped in the microwave - click for details.
- Avoid sugar, artificial sweeteners and alcohol.
- Replace coffee with green tea, preferably organic, such as Bigelow Certified Organic Green Tea.
Each morning for breakfast, drink Dr. Oz's weight loss smoothie drink:
- 1 cup Vanilla Almond Milk, unsweetened, such as Pacific Natural Foods Organic Unsweetened Almond Beverage, Vanilla (click for information).
- ½ cup frozen berries
- ½ banana
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (look for an organic brand, such as Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Essential Flaxseed - click for details)
- 2 tablespoons Rice Protein Powder, such as Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Vanilla Flavor (click for details)
Blend all ingredients thoroughly and sip.