Jump-start weight loss, boost your metabolism and whittle your waistline. Sounds like the infomercial for an expensive diet supplement? No, says Dr. Mehmet Oz, you can achieve those benefits from the newest contenders in the super food category.
Ready to find out what's new and tasty? Dr. Oz recommends:
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which can lower cholesterol, improve digestion, fight inflammation, and prevent Alzheimer's disease. Try it in spice blends or sprinkle over veggies. Try an organic variety for the freshest flavor, such as Indus Organic Turmeric (Curcumin) Powder (click for details).
- Nibble on seaweed chips. Low in calories, high in calcium, you can sprinkle crumbled nori over salads or look for flavored nori chips in health-food stores, such as Jayone Seaweed, Roasted and Lightly Salted (click for details).
- Try amaranth for breakfast. Love quinoa? Meet gluten-free "ancient grain" amaranth, which has nine grams of protein per cup. Try Bob's Red Mill Organic, Amaranth Grain.
- Soybeans are rich in protein to boost your metabolism and keep you full.
- Greek coffee powers up your day without the jitters. Experiment with different brands, such as Venizelos Greek Style Ground Coffee (click for details).
Get more tips from Dr. Oz with his books: