If you're concerned about diabetes, you know that blood sugar spikes can be serious. On his Feb. 21 talk show, Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed how fenugreek can stabilize blood sugar and fight diabetes. Plus: Discover new Oz-approved fat-burning snacks to accelerate your weight loss.
Fenugreek slows down your body's digestion of carbohydrates while decreasing the absorption of glucose. As a result, it can help to control your blood sugar while battling diabetes, says Dr. Oz.
How to use: Add the seeds as a spice to meals. It's particularly good in vegetable dishes or soups. Dr. Oz recommends one tablespoon a day.
Where to find: Look in the grocery store or online, such as Starwest Botanicals Organic Fenugreek Seed.
Also featured on the same episode, Dr. Oz dished up his new weight loss discoveries: Snacks that actually boost your body's ability to burn fat.
Dr. Oz recommends:
- Use figs as snacks to reduce your hunger and burn fat faster. Tip: Look for brands without added sugar and chemicals, such as Indus Organic Turkish Jumbo Dried Figs (click for details).
- Licorice root blocks an enzyme that plays a role in fat accumulation and helps control cravings. You can also find it in tea form, such as Yogi Egyptian Licorice Tea.
- Protein-packed pistachios help you stay full, reducing your cravings. Tip: If you have a problem with portion control, look for mini bags, such as 130-calorie bags of Wonderful Pistachios.
- Hydrating watermelon supports your metabolism. Try one cup in a smoothie to lose weight more easily.
- High in polyunsaturated fats, pine nuts make your body burn calories faster. Dr. Oz suggests two tablespoons three times a week. Look for pine nuts in health food stores or online, such as Good Sense Pine nuts.
- Make snacks that use beans, which have soluble fiber and reduce fattening inflammation. Try the recipe below as an example.
This recipe was created by Kim, a guest of "The Dr. Oz Show" who lost more than 200 pounds. The secret ingredient: black beans. Kim authored a book about how she lost the weight: "Finally Thin!: How I Lost More Than 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off--and How You Can, Too" (click for details).
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp mini semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a food processor, mix all brownie ingredients (except chips) together. Chop on high, until smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the chips and stir well. Spread into the 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- 6 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp semisweet mini chocolate chips, melted
With a whisk attachment on an electric beater, blend all ingredients until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the top of the cooled brownies. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the 2 tbsp of chips with a 2-second spray of nonstick cooking oil. Using a spoon, swirl the chocolate on top. Allow it to set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.