Does the Fountain of Youth actually exist? Well, no. But Dr. Mehmet Oz says that by changing your diet to incorporate the right foods and beverages, you can look and feel younger. He explained his anti-aging diet on his Jan. 10 talk show. Plus: Find out about a bath for weight loss, and a recipe that fights the flu and colds.
Would you like to lose weight by soaking in a relaxing bath? Dr. Oz suggests taking an Epsom salt bath. How it works: As you age, you can have more problems with weight loss. However, Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulfate. When used in a bath, your body absorbs these ingredients and loses toxins as well as puffiness.
How to use: Heat the bathwater to a maximum of 97 degrees. Add two cups of Epsom salts and relax in the tub for about 10 minutes. You can lose as much as an inch just by taking that weight loss bath, according to Dr. Oz. Find out about Epsoak Epsom Salt by clicking here.
What foods can turn back the clock while promoting weight loss? Dr. Oz recommends:
- blueberries for its antioxidants
- beans for its combination of fiber and protein: Try keeping cans of beans on hand to add fiber and protein to salads or stir into brown rice. Look for an organic brand, such as Walnut Acres Organic Whole Black Beans (click for details).
- cranberry juice for its flavonoids
- carrots for vitamin A
- Brazil nuts to slow down the aging process with selenium - they also contain healthy fats to keep you full longer
- red wine or grape juice for its age-reversing resveratrol
- low-fat cottage cheese for its high level of protein
- cucumbers to boost collagen
- small amounts of dark chocolate to satisfy your sweet tooth
It's the season for colds and flu. Every state has reported cases of influenza, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But are there ways to enhance your diet that can help ease the misery? Yes, according to Dr. Oz. He suggests that you sip the soup recipe below for its immunity-boosting ingredients.
- 1 medium red onion
- 2-3 red chilis
- 4 (15-oz) cans of white beans, such as Carmelina Brands Italian Cannellini Beans, White Beans (click for details)
- 6 cups low-sodium veggie broth (or use instant cubes and make your own as needed, such as Organic Gourmet Organic Vegetable Boullion Cubes, Low Sodium)
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp turmeric
Directions: Sauté red onions, chilis, beans and spices ingredients in three tablespoons of olive oil.
Add in low-sodium vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil and let simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.