Want to wipe out wrinkles, erase age spots and soothe your skin? During his October 17 talk show, Dr. Oz featured vitamin C as the ultimate anti-aging antidote for beautiful skin. In addition, he talked with Elisabeth Smart about her survival tale. Plus: Get Dr. Oz's favorite recipe for a healthy version of mayonnaise.
Has life given you lemons when it comes to your skin? From adding lemons to your diet to using lemon juice on your skin, the vitamin C in this citrus fruit can make a dramatic difference, says Dr. Oz. Here are his tips:
- Dab lemon juice onto your age spots daily. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes to bid adios to age spots.
- What's the link between wrinkles and vitamin C in your diet? Wrinkles form on the parts of your face that move the most. Underneath your top layer of skin, you have collagen. As we age, we lose collagen. But you can win by eating more foods that are high in vitamin C, such as lemons, papaya and pineapple.
- Don't let sagging skin get you down. Just mix lemon juice into moisturizer or look for a brand made with vitamin C such as Beauty without Cruelty Renewal Moisturizer Vitamin C with CoQ10.
Elizabeth Smart also was featured on Dr. Oz's October 17 show. He highlighted how she survived even her darkest moments by focusing on gratitude, such as being grateful for food and water after she was abducted. She's written a story about her ordeal: "My Story" (click for details).
Dr. Oz is a believer in seeking ways to make smart diet substitutes. One of his frequent healthy cooking guests, chef Rocco DiSpirito, created the fat-free, low-calorie and gluten-free version of mayonnaise below. Rocco has a new book: "Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories."
Ingredients for Fat-Free Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 5 packets 100% natural powdered stevia
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (17- to 20-oz) container fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine white vinegar, Stevia, Dijon mustard and whisk until evenly mixed. Slowly add Greek yogurt and stir until well mixed. Salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Spread on a sandwich and enjoy!