Dr. Mehmet Oz has become famed for featuring alternative health options on his popular talk show. But his newest trip down the path to weight loss enlightenment may prove to be his most controversial: Chakras dieting. On his October 22 talk show, Dr. Oz explored how to eat for your chakras to lose weight and feel great.
So just what are chakras? They exist within us as "parts of a large network of subtle energies," says Dr. Oz's guest expert Kulreet Chaudhary. By understanding how to eat for the seven major chakras, you can balance your health and correct problems that could result in symptoms ranging from digestive ills to hormone problems.
Learn how to eat to benefit your chakras and your health:
- For your navel chakra, which is linked to fertility and reproduction, eat orange foods such as pumpkin and drink lots of water.
- For your digestive system, eat yellow foods to balance your solar plexus chakra such as summer squash. In addition, avoid white sugar and eat complex carbohydrates such as brown rice. Daily exercise is important as well.
- Eat red foods and root foods such as beets to balance your root chakra. Protein also is associated with this chakra because it requires more time to digest, which can be grounding.
- Thyroid concerns may be linked to your throat chakra. Bite into blue foods like blueberries.
- You can't go wrong with green food, which balances your heart chakra. Eat green foods such as kale with each meal. (Tip: Get a recipe for kale chips by clicking here.)
- The Third Eye (Forehead) chakra is responsible for hormone function and secretion. Eat violet foods such as purple grapes.
- Foods like plum and eggplant nourish the master crown chakra.