Does everybody need a cleansing detox diet? If you ask celebrities like Gynweth Paltrow, the answer is yes. And some holistic health experts agree with her. Author of "YOU: Losing Weight: The Owner's Manual to Simple and Healthy Weight Loss," Dr. Mehmet Oz recently talked with Oprah magazine about the pros, cons and caveats of cleansing and detox diets. And his insights may surprise you.
"On talk shows and in magazines, I often hear celebrities championing cleanses. But when they say "cleanse" and I say "cleanse," we're usually talking about two very different things," says Dr. Oz, author of "YOU: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" (click for details). Celebrities tend to emphasize dramatic weight loss, following regimens designed to help you lose weight while potentially depriving "you of crucial nutrients and calories, forcing your body into starvation mode. You do lose weight, but as your metabolism slows, the pounds eventually creep back," warns Dr. Oz.
In contrast, Dr. Oz is referring to the holistic concept of cleansing: "A strategy that helps your body rid itself of toxins." His 48-hour detox cleanse provides you with "whole foods that are packed with nutrients believed to boost the activity of the enzymes and nourish the body's most important detoxifying organs—the liver, the lungs, the kidneys, and the colon—so they can do their jobs better and more efficiently." How often should you repeat the cleanse detailed below? Dr. Oz suggests following it three to four times annually, "or whenever you're feeling bloated or sluggish. I promise it will rejuvenate you—from the inside out."
Here's what to eat:
- Breakfast: Quinoa with Prunes (choose a brand of quinoa that is 100 percent whole grain, such as truRoots Organic Quinoa 100% Whole Grain Premium - click for details)
- Lunch: Revitalizing Fruit Smoothie (see recipe below)
- Dinner: Vegetable Broth with a Side of Sauerkraut and Sliced Apples
- Snack: Pineapple-Kale Juice
Ingredients for Smoothie
- ½ cup almond or hemp milk (plain or unsweetened, such as Pacific Natural - click for details)
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ banana
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- ½ cup ice
Directions: Blend the ingredients until smooth.