Dr. Mehmet Oz continued his month-long focus on summer weight loss by discussing how small diet changes can help you slim down more quickly on the May 12 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
1. Protein, fats and carbs. Dr. Oz said whether you're shaped like an apple, a pear or a box, eating a combination of protein, healthy fats and complex carbs at every meal can help you trim your midsection.
Dr. Oz's guest was nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock, who suggested having a breakfast burrito with eggs, cheese and beans to start your day. For lunch, Dr. Brock suggested having a turkey sandwich with tomato, avocado and some olive oil.
2. Increase dairy intake. Research shows that consuming more dairy sources of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, and milk, accelerates weight loss by raising your metabolism and boosting your body's fat-burning furnace. According to a University of Tennessee study, eating 3 servings of dairy a day significantly reduced body fat in obese patients.
3. Daily multivitamin. Another natural way to enhance weight loss is to take a multivitamin, said Dr. Oz. Research shows that a daily multivitamin curbed appetite and promoted greater weight loss, especially for women.
4. CLA supplement. Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) burn belly fat and increase lean body mass, according to several recent studies. CLA supplements work by speeding up the process by which your cells release fat. The catechins from green tea combined with the fat-fighting properties of CLA deliver a powerful one-two punch when it comes melting belly fat, said Dr. Oz.
5. Cocoa powder. Dr. Oz said raw, organic cocoa powder is a potent weight-loss weapon because it satisfies your sweet tooth at a fraction of the calories. Organic cacao also contains more antioxidant flavonoids than green tea, red wine, and blueberries, and is a good source of magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, copper and potassium.
High Intensity Interval Training Blasts Belly Fat
While fitness experts concede that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss, Dr. Oz said exercise has benefits beyond mere calorie-burning, including improving mood and releasing anti-aging human growth hormones.
Obesity expert Dr. Michael Mosely, who lost 20 pounds by following the intermittent-fasting plan he detailed in The Fast Diet, said you can get an effective fat-burning workout in under 7 minutes. The key to torching fat and accelerating weight loss is doing short bursts of intense exercise instead of long, drawn-out workouts.
Studies show that women who did 20 minutes of HIIT three times a week burned more belly fat than women who exercised at a moderate pace for 40 minutes three times a week. Mosley revealed his "fast workout" secrets in his new book, FastExercise: The Simple Secret of High-Intensity Training.