Two relatively ancient healing practices, Ayurveda and cleansing diets, can help you achieve goals ranging from weight loss to beautiful skin. On his Jan. 7 talk show, Dr. Mehmet Oz explored the secrets of Ayurveda and revealed how the right cleansing diet can detoxify your body and help you get your glow on!
To explore detox and cleansing diets, Dr. Oz introduced Dr. Woodson Merrell, author of "The Detox Prescription: Supercharge Your Health, Strip Away Pounds, and Eliminate the Toxins Within." Dr. Merrell believes that done right, detox cleansing diets can jump-start weight loss while removing toxins that can cause problems such as chronic pain, depression and fatigue.
By using food as medicine, says Dr. Merrell, you can "build a better you" by combining detoxification and optimal nutrition principles. His three-day juice cleanse gives you a start:
- Begin your day with a green smoothie.
- Snack during the mid-morning with raw almond milk.
- At noon, sip cranberry apple juice to move out the toxins.
- During the mid-afternoon, sip a sweet potato and apple smoothie.
- For dinner, enjoy a smoothie with pear and avocado.
- Before bed, sip raw walnut milk.
- After the three-day juice cleanse is completed, Dr. Merrell recommends a plant-based diet.
Worth noting: Dr. Oz recently advised against extending juice fasts, citing experts who say that they can lead to an eating disorder called juicerexia. Read about his warnings by clicking here.
Ayurveda requires understanding your dosha, which in turns determines your own physical and mental characteristics, says Dr. Oz. Most people have one to two doshas that dominate. The three doshas are known as: Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Kapha types tend to struggle with sinus congestion, poor circulation and sluggish digestion.Try using the Holy Basil diet supplement for help.
- Pita personalities may have inflammatory problems such as headaches and digestive problems like ulcers. Consider a diet supplement called Amla.
- If you struggle with bloating and belly bulge, then the Vata body type probably is one of your dominant doshas. The following tea remedy can help:
Belly Bloating Tea Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander and fennel seeds
- 1 mug of hot water
Directions: Add seeds to the hot water and let it steep for several minutes. Sip slowly to relieve bloating and gas.