Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed his favorite superfoods to enhance weight loss, make your skin look younger, and strengthen your immune system on the June 6 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
Dr. Oz said eating two cloves of raw garlic every day is one of the best ways to enhance immunity and prevent illness. Garlic (especially raw garlic) can stem infections like the common cold because it has powerful antibacterial properties.
Another superfood Dr. Oz recommends is safflower, which has been shown to boost energy, protect heart health, and aid weight loss by burning belly fat:
- Safflower oil increases energy. Dr. Oz suggested adding it to your salad at lunch or other meals/snacks.
- Safflower supplement burns belly fat because it contains linoleic acid, which boosts metabolism.
Dr. Oz other favorite weight-loss superfoods include:
- Hemp seeds. These nutritional powerhouses are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which protect your heart, boost nutrient absorption and enhance memory.
- Black soybeans. Dr. Oz said consuming a half-cup cup of black soybeans half an hour before a meal will significantly curb your appetite. They helped two of his guests to consume 35% fewer calories a day.
- Chia seeds. This antioxidant-rich seed is high in fiber and contains 500% more calcium than milk and the same amount of omega-3 fatty acids as wild salmon.
For younger-looking skin, Dr. Oz recommended the following:
- Walnuts. They're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which give your skin a smoother, dewy-looking appearance.
- Flaxseeds. Flaxseeds are anti-aging superfoods that curb hunger, reduce high blood pressure, clear clogged coronaries, and prevent heart disease. The lubricating effects of flaxseed can also diminish the appearance of wrinkles.
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil fights wrinkles from the inside and out. Dr. Oz suggested using coconut oil when cooking, and rubbing coconut oil on your face and hair for its anti-aging and conditioning benefits.