Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed natural ways to boost your metabolism on the April 28 episode of the Dr. Oz Show ("Mega Metabolism Boosters").
Starting at about age 25, the average person’s metabolism falls 5-10% percent each decade, according to nutrition expert Dr. John Berardi, author of The Metabolism Advantage. Exercise (particularly weight-training) is a proven way to maintain lean muscle mass and keep your metabolism fired up, he said.
Dr. Oz said the following supplements also enhance your metabolism for super-charged weight loss:
- BCAA powder. Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) have long been used by endurance athletes and bodybuilders to reduce muscle breakdown. Maintaining lean muscle mass ensures your metabolism stays fired up.
- Sage leaf tea. Dr. Oz said drinking a cup of sage leaf tea in the mornings helps regulate blood sugar and keeps your metabolism purring throughout the day.
- White bean extract. Dr. Oz called white bean extract a "sugar eraser" because it prevents the body from storing sugar as fat and keeps carbs from being absorbed in the body. White bean extract also suppresses appetite.
"If you slip up and eat a doughnut or something, take the white bean extract," said Dr. Oz. "It will help slow down the absorption of the sugar." He suggested taking 500mg of white bean extract a day, preferably before a high-carb meal or snack.
Safe and Natural Diuretics
Dr. Oz said many women use water pills to minimize bloating during their periods or to shed a few pounds quickly before a special event, but said these drugs could damage your kidneys and heart. Fortunately, he said there are safe, natural alternatives:
- Acacia fiber powder. Acacia powder is a natural, soluble dietary fiber that promotes intestinal regularity. It's also an excellent prebiotic that supports healthy gut flora, and a healthy digestive tract promotes natural, easy weight loss.
- Hawthorn berry supplement. Holistic medical experts have long recommended hawthorn berry to get rid of excess water weight. Hawthorn berry also contains antioxidant flavonoids that support healthy blood flow and blood pressure.
- Dandelion tea. Dandelion leaves increase the amount of urine your body makes. Dandelion also has antioxidant properties that boost the immune system.