Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed how you can lose nine pounds in 14 days by following his two-week rapid weight-loss diet on the March 20 episode of the Dr. Oz Show ("Dr. Oz's Two-Week Rapid Weight-Loss Diet"). *This episode originally aired Jan. 6.
Dr. Oz tested the diet on his audience, who together lost more than 1,000 pounds, or nine pounds per person.
Dr. Oz said his 2-week rapid weight-loss diet was inspired by three top diet books:
- Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
- Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter, and
- The Ultra Simple Diet by Dr. Mark Hyman.
Foods to Avoid on 2-Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet
1. Avoid wheat. One woman who eliminated wheat from her diet said she lost 16 pounds by making that one small change.
2. Nix artificial sweeteners. Dr. Oz said artificial sweeteners ruin your metabolism and fuel weight gain. New studies show that people who use artificial sweeteners experience a 70% increase in waist circumference compared to non-users.
3. Avoid alcohol and sugar. Sugar increases your appetite and wreaks havoc on your metabolism and hormones, making weight loss difficult. Dr. Oz said alcohol provides empty liquid calories, makes you eat more, and causes bloating.
4. Eliminate coffee. While coffee has been touted as a rich source of antioxidants, Dr. Oz said the stimulant effects of coffee can lead to unhealthy cravings. He said black coffee is OK, but adding sugar and cream makes it unhealthy.
5. Avoid dairy. Dairy is a major source of inflammation, which promotes weight gain.
Meal Plan on the Two-Week Rapid Weight-Loss Diet
1. Start each morning with a cup of hot water with ½ a lemon. This kick-starts your metabolism and digestive system and is a natural diuretic.
2. For breakfast, Dr. Oz suggests having a high-protein smoothie to fire up your metabolism while ridding your body of toxins. His smoothie recipe is below:
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ banana
- ½ cup frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons rice protein powder.
3. Your meals and snacks should consist of the following foods:
- Six-ounce portions of chicken, turkey or fish
- Healthy fats like avocado and olive oil
- Greek yogurt (this is the only dairy allowed)
- Fiber-rich brown rice
- Organic green tea to replace coffee.
4. Dr. Oz said you can eat unlimited quantities of these low-glycemic vegetables:
- Brussels sprouts
- Snap peas
Dr. Oz also said you should take a probiotic every day, as this healthy bacteria has been shown to aid digestion and accelerate weight loss. You can expect to lose 9 pounds in 2 weeks on this diet.