Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Dr. Oz: Giuliana Rancic's hormone weight loss diet and health scare

Dr. Oz spotlights Giuliana Rancic's cancer battle, super-charged hormone diet for weight loss
Fox screencap

Dr. Mehmet Oz discussed Giuliana Rancic's cancer and infertility battles and how to accelerate weight loss on the Super-Charged Hormone Diet on the March 31 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.

Dr. Oz's guests were Giuliana and Bill Rancic, who star on the reality TV show, "Giuliana and Bill." Giuliana, 40, is doing well undergoing a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery in 2011.

Ironically, Giuliana discovered the tumors by accident while undergoing a third round of in-vitro fertilization after several failed attempts at getting pregnant.

Upon learning of the cancer, she stopped IVF, got a double mastectomy, and underwent six weeks of radiation. Giuliana and her husband, Bill Rancic, welcomed a baby boy, Duke, in August 2012 via a surrogate.

Giuliana also revealed she suffered from childhood scoliosis, which causes a curvature of the spine. The naturally lanky Rancic, who lost a dramatic amount of weight during the past three years, said her bony spine has spawned rumors that she's suffering from anorexia — claims she vehemently denies.

Rancic said dealing with eating disorder reports on top of her cancer struggle has been difficult, but she's healthy and well, thanks to the love and support of her husband Bill. The Rancics shared their secrets for a happy relationship in their book I Do, Now What?

Dr. Natasha Turner Discusses Weight Loss on Super-Charged Hormone Diet

On a separate segment of the show, Dr. Oz's guest was Dr. Natasha Turner, a naturopathic doctor. Dr. Oz said there are many things we do on a daily basis that wreak havoc on our hormones, fueling weight gain and wild mood swings.

Dr. Turner (who's super-svelte) revealed she had gained 20 pounds a few years ago due to hormone problems, but slimmed down by super-charging her hormones.

Dr. Turner, author of the bestseller, The Super-Charged Hormone Diet, recommended the following to enhance weight loss and keep your hormones balanced:

1. Get enough sleep. Inadequate sleep causes the hormone leptin to plummet, which causes weight gain. Leptin regulates appetite, metabolism and weight loss. Dr. Turner recommended getting seven and a half hours of sleep every night to regulate hormones, prevent weight gain, and enhance mood.

2. Don't crash diet. Dr. Oz said starvation diets cause thyroid disruptions, which increase stress hormones and weight. Dr. Turner recommended an 80/20 diet, or eating well 80% of the time, and allowing yourself to indulge the other 20%. By not resorting to extreme diets, your metabolism and thyroid will stay healthy, she said.

3. Exercise rigorously. It's not necessary exercise for a long time, but make sure you get your heart rate up when you do exercise, as aerobic workouts (even short ones for five to 10 minutes) dramatically improve mood and help regulate hormones.

4. Take a dark-chocolate break. Dr. Turner said many women get intense chocolate cravings during PMS, and enjoying a small amount of organic dark chocolate (that contains at least 75% cocoa) can satisfy your sweet tooth and give you an endorphin lift.

5. Limit caffeine. Dr. Oz said too much caffeine increases the stress hormone cortisol. Dr. Turner suggested opting for an herbal tea like chicory tea instead of coffee.

6. Take a chewable vitamin C. Dr. Oz said chewable vitamin C reduces cortisol and enhances your immune system, making you happier and heartier.

Dr. Turner, who also wrote The Carb Sensitivity Program, previously appeared on the Nov. 12 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.

Report this ad