Welcome to our series dedicated to helping you fit in those skinny jeans! Each article in the series will describe a diet designed to whittle that waistline. In this feature, we look at Dr. Mehmet Oz's new 2-Week Rapid Weight-Loss diet that's designed to melt fat fast with the right mix of foods. Lose up to nine pounds in 14 days.
Author of "YOU: Losing Weight: The Owner's Manual to Simple and Healthy Weight Loss," Dr. Oz says that he designed the diet for two categories of people: Those who have vowed to lose weight in 2014 and want a kick-start and those who are stuck on a diet plateau. The premise is simple: Eat lots of low-glycemic vegetables and small portions of protein.
The benefits: You'll cut your cravings, experience fast weight loss and learn to automate your meals to avoid spending hours in the kitchen. And because it only lasts for two weeks, this type of extreme weight loss can be safe and successful.
Here are the guidelines:
- Start your day with a cup of hot water and half a lemon. Sip a breakfast smoothie (see recipe below) and green tea. Dr. Oz recommends organic tea, such as Bigelow Organic Green Tea (click for details).
- Consume one serving of protein (six ounces) daily, such as meat or chicken.
- Consume 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice a day.
- Use healthy fats in moderation, such as avocado and olive oil.
- Limit dairy to 1 cup of two percent Greek yogurt.
- Nosh on unlimited low-glycemic vegetables (see list below) and Detox Broth (see recipe below).
- For snacks, nibble on hummus, pickles and a few handfuls of nuts.
- Take a probiotic in the morning.
- Take a multivitamin (preferably 1/2 in the morning & 1/2 at night).
- Take a detox bath every night (soak with 2 cups Epsom salt & 1 cup baking soda).
What to cut out:
- No starchy carbohydrates (except ½ cup brown rice)
- No artificial sweeteners (this includes all diet soda)
- No white sugar
- No alcohol
- No caffeine (only green tea)
- No dairy (except Greek yogurt)
- No additional exercise
- No meals between 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Breakfast Smoothie Ingredients
- 2 tbsp rice protein powder, such as Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Vanilla Flavor (click for details)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Blend all ingredients together until you achieve the desired consistency.
Detox Broth Ingredients (If you prefer, use vegetarian broth such as Swanson Vegetable Broth -click for details)
- 3 qts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup of winter squash, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup of root vegetables: any of the following: turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas for sweetness
- 2 cups of chopped greens: any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion,
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 cup cabbage
- 4 (1/2-inch) slices of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of whole garlic (not chopped or crushed)
- Sea salt (to taste)
Add all the ingredients at once and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste. Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge. Heat gently and drink up to 3 to 4 cups a day.
Examples of low-glycemic vegetables
- Artichoke hearts
- Bamboo shoots
- Bean sprouts
- Brussels sprouts
- Beans (green, kidney, garbanzo)
- Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
- Pea pods
- Sugar snap peas
- Swiss chard
- Water chestnuts
- Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
- Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)