If you struggle to shed pounds and always feel hungry, there's a new diet that might help. It accelerates weight loss while allowing you to eat more food and burn more calories, says Dr. Mehmet Oz. He explained how the Fast Metabolism Diet works on his Feb. 5 talk show. Plus: Try some recipes from the plan.
Dr. Oz introduced his expert, nutritionist Haylie Pomroy, who authored "The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight" (click for details). She explained how by choosing the right foods in the right combinations, you can actually consume more while supercharging your metabolism. The result: Extreme weight loss, with the ability to lose up to 20 pounds in 28 days.
Haylie says that changing your food intake every few days keeps your metabolism in optimal condition, burning calories faster while keeping you satisfied and avoiding cravings. For example:
- For two days, eat a cup of whole grains at each meal and two fruits each day. Squeezing lime on the fruit reduces inflammation.
- For the next two days, avoid fruits and grains. At each meal, you can enjoy four to six ounces of meat. For snacks as well as meals, you get unlimited amounts of vegetables.
- For the final three days of the week, incorporate healthy fat into your diet while enjoying selected carbs and protein. Snacks also include healthy fats, such as almonds and avocado.
In addition to designing the Fast Metabolism Diet, Haylie has concocted a cookbook: "The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook: Eat Even More Food and Lose Even More Weight." She said it's specifically designed to enhance the results of her weight loss plan. Try a recipe below.
Strawberry French Toast (Phase 1)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 slice sprouted-grain bread
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp stevia or xylitol
Whisk together the egg white, vanilla and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Soak the bread well in the mix, coating both sides.
Heat a nonstick skillet and place the bread onto the hot surface, turning occasionally to toast both sides.
While it cooks, heat the strawberries in a pan over low heat. When they are halfway softened, add the lemon juice and Stevia or Xylitol and cook until warm. Immediately pour over the French toast and eat!
Chicken and Broccoli Bowl (Phase 1)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp parsley or cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, chopped into 2-in pieces
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tsp minced parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Mix the broth, vegetables, 1 tablespoon parsley and garlic in a large pot. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the rice and bring back to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes. Set aside.
While the rice cooks, put the chicken and broccoli in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well until the chicken and broccoli are coated with the flavorings. Transfer the chicken and broccoli mixture to a larger baking pan, spreading it evenly in the bottom with a spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool. Divide the rice into four 1/2-cup servings. Divide the chicken and broccoli mixture into four equal portions and place on top of the rice. Serve and enjoy. (Don’t hesitate to double this recipe and freeze more portions.)