Recently, I had the opportunity to conduct a one on one interview with Amazing Race winner Dr. Natalie Strand. Dr. Strand teamed up with Colgate Total to help educate, and provide tips on how to spring clean your health. She decided to share her wonderful tips with us.
Beauty Products Examiner: You've teamed up with Colgate Total to develop tips for spring cleaning your health. What tips can you give to our readers on how on how to start?
Dr. Natalie Strand: There are 5 tips that I like to give on how to spring clean your health relax, get seasonal, make excercise fun, get a spring tune up, and spruce up your mouth health.
Beauty Products Examiner: Can you elaborate a little on those tips?
Dr. Natalie Strand: I will be happy to.
1. Relax-when I say relax, I don't mean just rest. Take a moment and find some quiet time, and different stress relievers. Two good techniques are guided meditation and progressive muscle relaxation. Both techniques can be easily learned and can be done in 10 minutes or less. Also getting plenty of sleep is very important.
2. Get Seasonal by making better food choices. Shopping at your local farmers market is a great start. Try shopping for fresh produce because they are filled with nutrients, and they also have more flavor. Choosing produce that is in season will boost the nutrient density, making it extra healthy.
3. Spring is the perfect time of year to combine exercise with social activities. Make exercise fun by incorporating creative activities during social time, and also involving friends, co-workers or the community. It is important that you pick activities that you enjoy. These can be salsa dancing, walking the dog, archery lessons, etc. as long as it gets you off that couch, and gets you moving for at least 30min most days of the week.
4. Get A Spring Tune up meaning schedule regular doctors checkups, and routine dental exams. Doctor’s appointments are important, but are often pushed to the wayside. Make a list and schedule all your yearly check-ups at once, dental exams and cleanings, eye exams, etc.
5. Spruce Up Your Mouth Health by adapting a oral care regimen such as Colgate Total. By adapting the Colgate Total regimen you are taking a step to improve the health of your mouth. The regimen includes Colgate Total Advanced Toothpaste, Colgate Total Advanced Pro-Shield Mouthwash and the Colgate 360 Total Advanced Floss-Tip Toothbrush. You’re already brushing your teeth twice a day, so it’s a great time to make the switch to using oral care products that do more than just protect, but can actually help improve the health of your mouth. Using the Colgate Total regimen is proven to eliminate fifteen times more bacteria and improve mouth health in two weeks. It’s a simple change with a powerful impact!
Beauty Products Examiner: At what age should parents get their children involved in protecting their oral health?
Dr. Natalie Strand: It's best to start when they are young. Educating them on oral health care when they are young will prevent them from having major problems in the future. Instilling healthy habits in children is important.
Beauty Products Examiner: You also work closely with juvenile diabetes. Does diabetes play a role in oral health?
Dr. Natalie Strand: Yes it can. It’s important to remember that oral health is the window to overall health. What many people don't realize is that when diabetes is not under control it can affect glucose levels and also lead to gum disease.
Beauty Products Examiner: You're working closely with Colgate Total. How can readers follow you and the campaign?
Dr. Natalie Strand: They can follow me on Twitter @DrNatStrand, and also on Facebook DrNatStrand.
There you have it quick, simpke tips from Dr. Natalie Strand on how to Spring clean your health.
For more information about Colgate Total products, please visit http://www.colgatetotal.com/total-benefits/whole-mouth-health/healthy-mouth