It's the season of making (and trying to keep) New Year's resolutions such as losing weight. On a recent episode of "The Doctors," Dr. Ian Smith discussed how his "Super Shred" diet worked for two women. Plus: Get his recipes to take off the pounds fast while feasting.
The secrets to effective, time-efficient weight loss success are all detailed in a new book by Dr. Ian: "Super Shred: The Big Results Diet: 4 Weeks 20 Pounds Lose It Faster!"
The plan is a four-week turbo-charged weight loss plan that uses Dr. Ian's original Shred diet as the basis. Similarities:
- meal spacing,
- meal replacement
- diet confusion
The difference: It's twice as intense and effective. You can use the "Super Shred" plan on its own or to complement and kick-start "Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes."
The recipes below are reprinted with permission from "Super Shred: The Big Results Diet: 4 Weeks 20 Pounds Lose It Faster!"
Dr. Ian's Green Energizer Smoothie
Total time: 7 minutes
Under 200 calories
• 1 1/2 cups kale
• 1 cup orange slices
• 1 small frozen banana
• 1 cup coconut water
• 1 cup green grapes, frozen
• 5 pineapple chunks
• 1/2 medium pear
• 1/4 medium Granny Smith apple
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• Combine all ingredients in a blender, and puree until smooth.
Dr. Ian's Bean Protein Extravaganza
Total time: 20 minutes
Under 150 calories per serving
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 cup tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 19-ounce can of cannellini beans
• 1 15-ounce can of black beans
• 1/2 cup celery, sliced
• 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrots
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Heat olive in a large saucepan, and saute the garlic and onion until tender.
• Add the tomato paste and thyme.
• Bring to a boil, then add all the beans, celery and carrots.
• Cover, and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Ingredients
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 red onion or other sweet onion, peeled and chopped
1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup cubed, peeled apple (Fuji or Gala)
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
3 cups low- sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup fat- free evaporated milk
Salt and pepper
In a large saucepan or pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the nutmeg on the apples and add to the saucepan. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the squash, stock, and cumin, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until the squash is tender. Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the evaporated milk, and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan and let simmer on very low heat for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Under 200 Calories
Total prep time: 25 minutes
Copyright © 2013 by Dr. Ian K. Smith. Reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press. All rights reserved.