The end of March and beginning of April could possibly be the most exciting time in sports, as the nation transitions from college basketball madness into the first blossoming of the baseball season. The Padres get it started this Sunday, March 30th for an evening game against the L.A. Dodgers with Opening Day following on Tuesday, April 1st. Whether you want to usher in one or both dates as the official start of the season, you’ll have plenty of downtown options to help you celebrate on Sunday.
- Start at Side Bar for their pre-party from noon until right before the first pitch at 5 p.m. The ultra-lounge will be hosting Padres ticket giveaways, $4 drafts and $6 calls, food, and beats by DJ Craig Smoove.
- Few things go better together for baseball than hot dogs and beer except for maybe nachos. The Commons Bar located right near Horton Plaza will offer up its Opening Day hot dog and beer special. For ten bucks, pair a signature hot dog (The Hot Diggity, perhaps?) with any draft beer from their new craft beer selection. No fear, nachos lovers, they have those too.
- Although Don Chido won’t be open for the first month of the season, come May it will be ready to greet the baseball crowd with offerings of Mexican cooking featuring locally sourced ingredients. In addition to their food menu, they will have a variety of infused tequilas that may make pre- or post-game a whole lot more interesting. San Diego Padres Baseball Club members receive 20% off their bill every time they show their card.
- Visitors and locals alike can revel in the recent completion of the $15 million renovation of The Westin San Diego. Guests who order the “Padres Special” can enjoy three sliders and a draft beer for just $10. The sliders aren’t just the standard beef patty option. Instead, guests can choose from the Wagyu beef slider made with Maui onion relish, a pulled pork version with apple pecan slaw, or a crab cake option with roasted pepper aioli.
- Harrah’s Resort Southern California will be hosting a party at Stingaree from 2-5 p.m. on Sunday. Guests are invited to the rooftop to enjoy drinks, eats, and Harrah’s SoCal swag.
No matter where you end up, show support for the home team as they take the field for the first games of the season on Sunday, March 30th at 5:05 p.m. and Tuesday, April 1st at 3:40 p.m. Go Padres!