There’s lots going on next week-end in downtown Phoenix, so you’ll want to make plans. Some of the events are: an exciting Phoenix Suns game, the wildly popular Comic Con 2014, the beloved opera classic La Boheme, an intricate Chinese dance performance, Mulan, and the thrilling Monster Jam truck rally.
- The Phoenix Suns are always hometown favorites and they’re playing the Washington Wizards on Friday, January 24th, at the US Airways Arena. Tipoff is 7:00 pm and tickets start at $10. Be sure to show your game ticket on light rail and receive a FREE round trip ride to the Arena on game day. For ticket information, please click here. The address is 201 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix.
- The Amazing Arizona Comic Con 2014 will be held at the beautiful Phoenix Convention Center beginning Friday, January 24th – 26th, 2014. Some of the highlights will include the Zombie Sketch Experience, the Arizona Avengers , a Zombie Beauty Pageant, and a Costume Contest. Kids Day will be all day on Sunday where there will be free sketches by Mat Nastos, one of the artists from Phineas and Ferb, a costume parade, and a video game arena. For ticket information and the latest program updates, please check the Comic Con website. The address is 100 N. 3rd Street, Phoenix.
- La Boheme is a passionate Parisian love story performed by the Arizona Opera at the elegant Symphony Hall. This is a timeless classic you’ll not want to miss. Performances are Friday and Saturday, the 24th and 25th, at 7:30 pm, and Sunday, the 26th, at 2:00 pm. Tickets are selling out fast so be sure to check availability and ticket prices here. The address is 75 N. 2nd Street, Phoenix.
- Mulan 2014 is a stage production by the Phoenix Wushu Academy, an academy that promotes awareness of Chinese dance, culture and the arts. This production brings the historical Chinese heroine to life in a spectacular performance of acting and dance. The performance is on Saturday, January 25th, at 7:00 pm at the Orpheum Theater. Ticket information can be found here or call 480-822-9339. The address is 203 W. Adams, Phoenix.
- A favorite among youngsters and adults, Monster Jam will return to Chase Field on Saturday, January 25th, at 7:00 pm. This event is one in which the performers are twelve foot tall, ten thousand pound monster trucks – some of the biggest on four wheels -- and puts them through a track full of obstacles. Ticket information can be found here. The address is 401 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix.
These events are all located within a couple blocks of light rail. But, just in case, there are pedi-cab drivers who will pedal you a few blocks or a few miles for a small price. It’s one of the best ways to get around the downtown. So, leave the car at home and enjoy the week-end in downtown.