Looking for 4th of July activities in downtown Cleveland? Downtown Cleveland fireworks, anyone? Here are a couple of options for you:
Every Thursday in downtown Cleveland this summer has something going on and July 2 is no exception. Starting at 5pm you can enjoy happy hour specials and free concerts on East Fourth Street and at PlayhouseSquare.
Public Square will be closed to car traffic on Thursday, July 2 for the Cleveland Orchestra Star-Spangled Spectacular Concert and Festival. Performances begin at 5pm and culminate at 10:30pm with a fireworks show. Ten of thousands of people show up for this event, now celebrating its 20th year. Bring a lawn chair -- it's one of the few times you'll actually be able to sit in the middle of the intersection of Ontario and Superior.
The City of Cleveland's official fireworks show will be launched from the mouth of the Cuyahoga River on Saturday, July 4 around 10pm. Some great places to watch these fireworks include:
- Shooters restaurant and bar on the west bank of The Flats. Their huge outdoor patio is right on the river's edge.
- RTA Family Fest at Settlers Landing on the east bank of The Flats. This festival starts at 7pm. You can take RTA's Waterfront Line to get there, bring a blanket, sit on the grassy hillside and enjoy the view of downtown's bridges and the Cuyahoga River while watching the fireworks. And it's free!
- The historic William G. Mather steamship located just north of the Great Lakes Science Center. The Rock and Boom festival on the Mather starts at 6pm. Tickets are $12 for the tour and the view and food and drinks can be purchased on board. How many of your friends will be able to say they watched fireworks from the deck of a steamship on Lake Erie?
- If you want to watch the fireworks from a boat that's actually moving, check out the fireworks cruise on the Goodtime III. The ship leaves Inner Harbor at the end of East 9th Street at 7pm on the Fourth of July. Dinner and non-dinner tickets are available. Call 216-861-5110 for reservations.
- The Nautica Queen is also booking fireworks cruises! (hey, it's Cleveland! We have a river AND a great lake right downtown.) The ship leaves from the west bank of The Flats boardwalk at 7pm and includes a buffet dinner. Call 216-696-8888 for reservations.
- Wendy Park on Whiskey Island. This 20 acre park on the west side of the mouth of the Cuyahoga River is a great setting to watch the fireworks. Bring a blanket and some lawn chairs. There's plenty of grass to spread out on. Free!
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance
- Cleveland Orchestra Star-Spangled Spectacular Concert and Festival
- Thursday night activities in downtown Cleveland
- Follow Jeremy Borger on Twitter
Where will you be this Fourth of July weekend? Scroll down and post a comment below.