February 17, 2014 - Las Vegas will be making an even bigger impression on the virtual world when its top-level domain (TLD) is released later this year. The “.Vegas” domain is scheduled to take on .com, .net, .org, .co and other top-level domains no later than summer 2014.
- The “rollout” will begin with a waiting period of 120 days. In the meantime, Dot Vegas, Inc. will begin incorporating the new .Vegas into the Web’s root directory.
- Following the rollout will be a 60-day period when applications for .Vegas domains will only be open to official trademark holders. ICANN's Trademark Clearing House must receive an applicant’s submitted trademark before they can register the new domain.
- Lastly, everyone will have the option of purchasing a .Vegas top-level domain name. The new TLDs will be available through various international registrars, as well as local Las Vegas web development and web hosting companies.
‘We are doing everything we can to ensure that those with trademarked brands, along with local Las Vegas companies and individuals, have the first opportunity to register,’ says Trevino.
Over 900,000 .Vegas Domains Expected
The Dot Vegas, Inc. CEO is encouraging local Las Vegans to lock-in their own .Vegas domain names before the general public has access to them. He admits that one popular website registrar estimates that there will soon be more than 900,000 .Vegas domain names registered.
City officials have already spoken about the revenue Las Vegas is set to receive. The city’s proceeds will be based on the number of .Vegas domain names created. Annual revenue will also be earned for each year of .Vegas domain renewals.
All rights related to the .Vegas domain will be exclusively operated and managed by Dot Vegas, Inc.
Search for Your .Vegas Domain Name
Upcoming .Vegas domains will be available through registrars from all over the world. Some are already offering to allow pre-registrations in order secure the new top-level domains. Below is a short list of website registrars already scheduled to offer .Vegas domain names for sale:
Benefits of Dot Vegas Domains for Las Vegas Small Businesses
Carolyn Goodman, Mayor of Las Vegas, calls this ‘another exciting milestone’ for the Valley. Known as the Gambling Capital of the World, Sin City is one of the most recognizable brands on the planet. Las Vegas will not be able to expand its Internet presence, thanks to the exclusive and highly strategic opportunity.
People from every corner of the universe and all walks of life recognize the brand behind the glitzy, glamorous city of Las Vegas. Its brand is synonymous with prosperity, vibrancy, excitement and innovation. World-famous for its abundance of casinos and streets lined with neon fixtures, Vegas invites fascination from across the globe. This same fascination is expected to trickle over into the virtual world, as well.
When it comes to small businesses in Las Vegas, the excitement seems to be building up. Local owners are beginning to recognize the lucrative potential and professional benefits of Dot Vegas domains for local Las Vegas small businesses:
- The .Vegas extension may suggest that the business behind the site is physically located in Las Vegas, Nev.
- Online users may get the impression that sites with .Vegas domain extensions generally specialize in Las Vegas-related products, services, news, information, etc…
- Many are expecting the new TLD to have an effect on SEO. In other words, searches conducted using the keywords “Las Vegas” or “Vegas” may find .Vegas domains getting higher priority in search engine results.
- Dot Vegas TLDs may experience higher click-thru rates, as online searchers may assume that these sites have exactly what they’ve been searching for in Las Vegas, Nev.
- New website owners will have better chances of landing the domain names they’ve always wanted with a .Vegas extension instead.
- Any Las Vegas small business owner can benefit from these new extensions, as they're expected to specifically target Las Vegas visitors and tourists.
‘Owning a .Vegas domain name is like owning a piece of Vegas itself’, Dot Vegas, Inc.