According to ABC News on Monday, Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has changed his mind about selling the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA. Sterling's attorney Maxwell Blecher indicated that Sterling would not be signing off on the deal to sell after all. Blecher said, "We have been instructed to prosecute the lawsuit."
According to Blecher, Sterling issued a one-page statement on Monday titled "The Team is not for Sale" and said that "from the onset, I did not want to sell the Los Angeles Clippers."
Shelly Sterling negotiated the $2 billion sale after her husband's racist remarks to a girlfriend were publicized and the NBA moved for him to sell the team.
Sterling and his attorney believe the league violated his constitutional rights by relying on information from an "illegal" recording. It also said the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.
Sterling has devoted 33 years of his life to the team he loves. He said he decided to fight to protect his rights. He believes his privacy rights have been violated. Just last week, he agreed to drop the lawsuit, but this week he reveals the deal is off.
According to reports, Sterling has two optons. He can either sign the papers or go to court. Even if he wins in court, he will be winning a judgment against himself because his wife has agreed to indemnify the NBA against all lawsuits, including by her husband.
NBC reported that Sterling isn't giving up. Sterling says he intends to “fight to keep” the basketball team, despite his initial intentions to sell it.