It is hard to accept, but love sometimes ends. Marriages and relationships fail. The flames of love die out. What started out with so much promise sometimes ends in disaster. Now the challenge is how to pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again.
Here are the five important actions you need to take to avoid repeating the same mistakes from your failed relationship:
1. Be honest with yourself. Figure out what you could have done differently in your previous relationship or marriage that would have improved the relationship before it came to an end. Could you have spent more time with the one you loved, or taken more interest in their hobbies, or noticed the signs of trouble earlier and sought help to resolve the issues were festering, or talked more openly about what was bothering you?
2. Invest the time to repair your spirit and your balance. Take the steps to get healthy mentally and physically. Take time to heal and stabilize after your failed relationship. You can't make appropriate decisions "off-balance" or in an unhealthy state. You need to heal yourself first.
3. Recognize that your next love will come along when you find someone who shares your interests. You need to develop your own interests -- be it kayaking, camping out, dancing, or biking. You are much more likely to attract the right potential mate at places where others share your interests.
4. Know your worth! Don't fall for seduction and settle for the first person that shows interest in you. Wait to find someone who shares your values, beliefs and interests.
5. Appreciate what you have! If you have good health, a place to live, or a job, you already have more than many people in the world. Focus on the positives. Your happiness will attract others to you.
By Drs. Charles and Elizabeth Schmitz
America's #1 Love and Marriage Experts
Creating a successful marriage or relationship is not always the easiest thing to do. Your visiting our blog suggests you are highly interested in making your marriage work! And truthfully, we have learned over 30 years of marriage research that there are proven effective ways to ensure a happy and healthy marriage. In fact, we took hundreds of tips from the thousands of happy couples we interviewed and put them into our award-winning and bestselling book, Building a Love that Lasts.
**Today, you can see how you stack up to the best marriages around the world. Take the Marriage Quiz to assess your chances of achieving a successful marriage of your own.