When it comes to holidays, April 3 has to be one of the very best days in the entire year! Not only is it Tweed Day, Find a Rainbow Day and World Party Day, it's also Don't Go to Work Unless It's Fun Day! Hooray! Not to be confused with International Fun at Work Day, which also takes place in April, today is all about having a little fun on the job.
Let's face it. Whether we want to or not, most of us have to work. Some of us have to work more than one job in order to make ends meet. Whether you love your job or hate it, you might as well make the most of it since such a large portion of the day is spent on the job. Life is short - we better enjoy it while we can no matter where we are, right?
While the boss may not recognize this particular occasion with a paid day off, why not celebrate the event by doing something extra special today? And who knows? It may not only help boost morale at the office, but you and your co-workers may just have a good time, too!
How to Celebrate Don't Go to Work Unless It's Fun Day
- Encourage the office to participate in a tasty potluck lunch (and why not make it a regular thing not just a one-time event?)
- Have an indoor or outdoor picnic complete with table cloth, lunch baskets and even an apple-bobbing contest.
- How about an office cookie exchange? Sweet!
- Use the conference room, grab a few snacks and watch a work-themed flick like Nine to 5, Working Girl, The Hudsucker Proxy, The Devil Wears Prada, Norma Rae, Silkwood and/or The Apartment.
- Decorate your office space for the day (just make sure it's appropriate for the office.)
- How about a little karaoke?
- Transform the drab breakroom into a fun game room for the day. Have everyone bring in a game or two - classic board games, card games, video games, air hockey, etc. Game on!
- Ask everyone (or the boss) to chip in for a relaxing lunchtime massage session.
- Change your attitude for the day and smile (or even whistle) while you work!
As for those Debbie Downers who would rather not participate in this fun-filled occasion, Cranky Co-Workers Day is coming up later this year! Just sayin'!