Good Morning America reported on March 9 that a California man allegedly put eye drops (Visine) in his girlfriend's drink after they had an argument. The girlfriend was alerted to the incident after reading suspicious text messages on his phone, she then called the authorities to report a possible domestic violence charge.
The police investigations were able to retrieve a verbal admission from the abuser of the violent act. Shayne Carpenter, a 27-year-old mechanic, was charged with poisoning and domestic violence offenses.
Researchers found that approximately 20 percent of domestic violence victims receive safety counseling after an intimate partner abuse incident. That leaves 80 percent of domestic violence victims without the professional guidance to avoid future incidences.
Last month, a Nashville woman had to take matters in her own hands after an ex-boyfriend allegedly stalked and harassed her. She felt helpless until she purchased a gun and had surveillance cameras installed at her home.
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.
These specific occurrences, along with the facts from the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, suggest more programs are needed to bring awareness and preventive measures to the domestic violence cause. These programs could benefit both the victims and abusers.
Self Awareness articles from Fran
Behavior & Discipline articles from Fran
Relationship Counseling articles from Fran