As the House of Representatives begins to vote on the Violence Against Women Act 2013, it is important for us to remember the innocent children who are often exposed and left with life long trauma due to domestic violence.
Domestic violence has a negative impact on the emotional, mental and behavioral health of children. According to research, children who are exposed to domestic violence have higher rates of alcoholism, self-esteem issues, depression, drug abuse, suicide and behavioral issues than those children who are not exposed to domestic violence. Additionally, domestic violence NEVER leaves a positive impact on the lives of children. The effects of being exposed to domestic violence also create stress, chaos and anxiety in many children. These symptoms are not easily recognized as they cannot be seen with the naked eye and may often be overlooked.
According to the Sacramento Police Department the more negative incidents that a child is exposed to, the greater the risk that he or she will experience one or more of the following problems as an adolescent or adult:
- heart disease
- poor self rated health
- engaging in violence
- sexually transmitted diseases
- drug abuse
If you or someone you know is in a domestic violence relationship please contact one of the resources listed below and seek help immediately:
- Sacramento Crisis Nursery (916) 394-200 (South); (916) 679-3600 (North) 24-hour shelter and emergency childcare for children ages 0-5. Services are confidential and at no cost for families.
- WEAVE (916) 920-2952 (Crisis Line); www.weaveinc.org or (916) 448-2321. Crisis intervention services for women, men and children who have experiences domestic violence or sexual assault.
- My Sister’s House (916) 428-3271 (24-hour); www.my-sisters-house.org. Addresses the unique needs of Asian and Pacific Islander women and children impacted by domestic violence.
- Diogenes (916) 369-5447 or 1-800-339-7177. Short term counseling for youth and their families.
- Domestic Violence Intervention Center. Crisis Line: (916) 728-7210; 6060 Sunrise Vista Drive, Suite 2240, Citrus Heights, CA 95610
- Community Legal Services/Victims Resource Center; 1-800-842-8467
RESOURCES ON THE WEB
Information about community programs and services for families and individuals
Extensive listing of resources for domestic violence, counseling, childcare, alcohol/narcotics counseling, etc.
Be Blessed, Be well...