Many of the nearly 40 million annual visitors to Las Vegas could benefit from use of a simple daily travel info itinerary list. This particularly applies for those visitors who intend to visit multiple Vegas shows, attractions, and events or those who plan on being in town for several days.
A travel itinerary is obviously important for any travel destination and trip, but Vegasphiles may find a trip plan to be particularly useful once their version of the party has begun. After arrival, visitors potentially have to deal with that unique Vegas adrenaline, multiple distractions, alcohol fogs, and the desires of other travel group members. A simple, organized itinerary can ultimately contribute to a more enjoyable Vegas getaway.
This article assumes Vegas travelers have secured reservations/plans for transportation to and from town, in-town transportation, hotel accommodations, shows and/or other attractions/events, and special dining intentions. This article is intended to assist domestic US visitors with organization of travel plans for getting to and while in Las Vegas. Previous LVE articles regarding overall Vegas trip planning are linked below.
An in-town trip itinerary can be organized on paper or on one of numerous mobile devices (laptops, tablets, Smart phones, ipods, etc). It's important to include accurate dates, times, confirmation numbers, event locations (Google maps), contact phone numbers, and time estimates necessary to simply get to scheduled Vegas events.
Simplicity and brevity are good approaches in formulating individual traveler itineraries. We recommend a chronological ( by trip day number, date and time/s ) checklist that spans the entire length of the trip. Always consider the time requirements required to get to multiple events scheduled on the same day / evening in Vegas.
Key Las Vegas travel itinerary info checklist :
1. Day 1 - Travel To Las Vegas :
- Flight - Airline and flight number/s, date and departure times, confirmation numbers, boarding passes (print 24 hrs. ahead), terminal and gate numbers, seat assignments, weather check, Vegas arrival time
- Drive - Driving route, time estimate, weather check, Vegas arrival time
2. Day 1 - Arrival Las Vegas :
- Ground transportation in Las Vegas - Personal vehicle or taxi, shuttle, limo scheduled / contact numbers ; record rental car company location / contact number, pickup time, confirmation numbers, and have price quote/reservation copy; most Vegas visitors who rent cars use the rental car system associated with McCarran Airport, which involves bus transit to a centralized car rental location about 7 minutes from the airport. Google maps of pertinent routes / locales (intended shows, dining, and attractions) are a useful addition to Vegas trip itineraries for those who don't have previous Vegas travel experience. Mobile device users can access Google maps instantly / spontaneously, but we still recommend paper map copies (course, we're old school Vegasphiles).
- Hotel arrival / check-in - Hotel name, address, contact number, and check-in time ; reservation confirmation (room type, total charges including taxes and fees); check-out date and time.
3. Day 1 - ? - While in Vegas :
- Shows / Attractions / Events - Record names, dates, times, locations (addresses / Google maps), and confirmation numbers of scheduled events. Remember to allot adequate time to attend multiple events on the same day / evening with consideration of varying traffic levels.
- Other info - Coupon buffs should make an organized coupon use list with description, redemption specifics and locations, and coupon amounts. Previously awarded comp offers for the ongoing trip for rooms, dining, or attractions should be listed with dates, locations, amounts, confirmation numbers, and specifics. Some gamblers might want to maintain a daily gambling budget record.
- Changing hotels - Many Vegas visitors stay at more than one hotel during trips, which is sometimes related to comped room offers. All info including check-in and check-out dates, times, and room offer specifics should be recorded on travel itineraries.
4. Leaving Las Vegas :
- Flight - Print boarding passes 24 hrs before departure at hotel business centers ; flight number, departure times (allot time for returning rental car if applicable and getting to airport 2 hrs prior to departure time), confirmation numbers, terminal and gate numbers, seats, weather check, arrival time at home airport.
- Hotel check-out - Standard mandatory check-out time at most Vegas hotels is 11 a.m. At check-out, reconfirm charges based on initial reservation (have appropriate info recorded/on-hand); record hotel services charged to the room during the stay and verify at check-out.
- Rental car returns - Bring original reservation copy( with confirmation number), rental contract, and the car full of gas if agreed upon in the contract. Verify charges prior to signing closure agreement. Again, most visitors who rent cars do so at the McCarran Car Rental Center. Returning the car and boarding the bus system for return to the airport usually requires 1 - 2 hours, and airport security prefers passengers arrive at the airport within 1.5 - 2 hrs of scheduled departure times.
- Cry and begin planning the next Vegas trip