Some canines will be donning tutus and tiaras for the event that includes a Bark Bar of selected waters for dogs, and pooch-appropriate snacks.
Their human companions will enjoy a reception, an extensive silent auction, live auction, dinner, dancing, a program, and "special surprises", says the Washington Humane Society (WHS).
Master of Ceremonies is Larry Michael, Washington Redskins Senior Vice President. Will a special surprise be a new name for the team?
Here are some of those special silent auction items:
- Yappy House Patio Party for ten dogs at Equinox in Washington. (One of the best of the best restaurants in D.C.)
- Animal Communication Session with Diane Roadcap and you/your animals (I'll be bidding on this for a session with my white dove Nureyev, whom I adopted from a shelter 21 1/2 years ago.)
- Stays a top hotels including The W and The Jefferson in D.C.; and others in San Diego; Phoenix; St. Louis.
- Stays in resorts such as PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach, Fla.; Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort in Phoenix.
- Olde Towne Pet Resort Boarding & Spa Package in Springfield, Virginia.
- Washington Redskins VIP Package.
- Four PNC Diamond Club Tickets to the Washington Nationals. (The Nationals' and WHS' "Pups in the Park" tix are sold out.)
- Four Tickets to a live taping of "PBS Newshour" with Gwen Ifill & Judy Woodruff.
- Two opening night tickets and after-party at Shakespeare Theatre Company.
And those're only some of the silent auction items -- the live auction offerings are even grander. As a former "spotter" for the Bark Ball's live auction, I was amazed at some of the bargain winning bids for luxurious trips.
All proceeds will directly benefit WHS animals and programs.
For further enticement, check out last year's Bark Ball photos by Rich Kessler:
- Fido's red fascinator matches her mom's sparkly gown and smile, but not her attitude.
- "Woof" bones for dogs to wolf down.
Although formal duds are optional, leashes are not. All dogs must be leashed (no retractable leashes).
WHS is America's only Congressionally chartered animal welfare agency, established in 1870.
For more info and tickets: Bark Ball, June 14, 7 P.M., Washington Hilton, International Ballroom, 1919 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. Tickets. Washington Humane Society, www.washhumane.org, 202-735-0330.