An outing to a Seattle, Wash., area park on Saturday morning nearly turned deadly for one dog who consumed poison-laced meat while on a hike with her family, reported Sunday's KOMO News.
Berdy, a golden retriever who belongs to Kyle and Allyson Barker, managed to sniff out a tasty morsel that had been left on a trail in Carkeek park - unfortunately, unbeknownst to Berdy, the treat was stuffed with poison.
Berdy's alert guardians were able to remove some of the meat from their dog's mouth; they did not initially realize that the meat had poisonous pellets inside.
Another couple who was hiking on the same trail approached the Barkers and told them that they had discovered other "suspicious" looking chunks of meat while on their hike. The couple had photographed what they saw and showed the pictures to the Barkers.
Berdy was lucky - her guardians were able to rush her to a veterinarian who induced vomiting and spared her from a dire fate.
The two-year-old dog's veterinarian, Dr. Jeb Mortimer, told KOMO:
"I think this intent is malicious,
Someone's trying to kill dogs in my opinion."
The meat and poison which were consumed by Berdy have been sent away for testing; it is suspected to be rat poison.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the bottom of this column. It is free and anonymous to sign up.
Follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human, if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.